Our vision is to educate on the importance of good health and well-being and to assist and inspire everyone with achieving their health potential. We offer natural health solutions and tools to improve your own self-health management
“Through education, lifestyle changes and supplemental support everyone has the potential to achieve their health goals.”
Dr Corin Storkey – Founder and Director of Seleno Health
Seleno Health – Who are we?
Seleno Health is a small family run business led by Dr Corin Storkey and Jacqueline Huapaya, based between New Zealand and Peru. New Zealand born founder and Co-director – Dr Corin Storkey has over 15 years of academic and research experience, specialising in medicinal antioxidant chemistry, oxidative diseases, cellular protection and health. He holds a PhD in medicinal chemistry from the University of Melbourne, Australia and the Heart Research Institute – Sydney, Australia. He has previously struggled with and overcome chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS/ME – see story here) and believes that there is currently a lack of holistic management in the conventional Western medical approach to health. These experiences led him to establish Seleno Health as a means to provide people with education and tools to manage their own health more effectively. His area of expertise is stress disorders and non-specific conditions such as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS/ME), fibromyalgia, Crohn’s, Psoriasis, Alopecia, UC, IBS, Lyme disease and similar auto-immune conditions.
He believes that:
“Good health is a never ending individualised holistic journey, that relies on the right tools, education, engagement, determination and a little discipline.”
In New Zealand, Seleno Health manufacture GPx Cell Protect®– a novel 100% natural, GMP certified anti-inflammatory and immune boosting supplement for the management of stress and related conditions based on 8 years of clinical research. They also run face-to-face and online workshops to educate and inspire people to better health for those experiencing stress, fatigue, burnout, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and other auto-immune or inflammatory disorders.
Co-director Sally Huapaya is Peruvian, with a Bachelor in industrial engineering and great knowledge of traditional health enhancing Peruvian foods. She has a passion to share what Peru has to offer and aspires to give back to the people of her homeland. In Peru, Seleno Health create authentic Organic Farm to Table Maca and Cacao directly with their local farmers under the sub-brand The Maca Experts. In New Zealand they run a maca research program that blends science and tradition to produce premium, scientifically researched maca products for the those looking for therapeutic grade maca to better manage their health. They have developed a model of trade that is economically, environmentally and socially sustainable and helps improve the lives of people in the local community (read more). They also run retreats to the jungle of Peru to connect with cacao and the mountains of Peru to connect with maca.
Help support farmers and communities in Peru by supporting Seleno Health with their mission to improve the lives of people they work with. One thing that we’ve learnt as a company is that anything is possible with the right tools, mindset and determination. Be part of our journey…
Corin and Sally with their maca farmers
Corin and Sally on the farm where they source their cacao
Sally giving a workshop about connecting with maca
Dr Corin Storkey presenting on the science behind the traditions of maca
- 15 years academic and research experience specialising in oxidative stress and antioxidant therapy
- PhD in medicinal chemistry at the University of Melbourne and ARC Centre of Excellence in Free Radical Chemistry and Biotechnology
- Postdoctoral researcher at the Heart Research Institute (Sydney) in free radical and antioxidant research
- Career as a medical liaison for Sanofi Aventis in metabolic disorders (diabetes, heart disease)
- 14 scientific publications in high impact peer reviewed journals
- New Zealand designed and manufactured quality scientific formulations for better health outcomes – Seleno Health
Key research and development highlights
- Synthetic chemistry and therapeutic design
- Antioxidant kinetic analysis
- Antioxidant protective analysis
- Clinical study design and implementation
Bachelor of science with 1st class honors (BSc hons) – Victoria University of Wellington (VUW)
PhD in medicinal chemistry – The University of Melbourne & ARC Centre of Excellence in Free Radical Chemistry and Biotechnology
Postdoctoral Researcher – Heart Research Institute Sydney
Storkey, C. Methodology for the Synthesis of Mannose-Linked Carbohydrates and ProDrugs. BSc (hons) thesis, School of Chemistry, Victoria University of Wellington, 2004.
Selection of online articles
Press and newspaper publications
- Sweet solution for heart health The Dominion Post (NZ), 05/12/11, Pg 4.
- Sweet solution for heart health – The southland times, Taranaki daily news, The Nelson Mail, Manawatu standard, Marlborough express, Sunday Star times, Waikato times (NZ), 05/12/11
- Kiwi scientist finds sweet solution for heart disease TVNZ (NZ), 05/12/11, Fairfax media
- New Australian sugar compound could prevent heart disease, Australian food news press publication, 05/12/11
- Sugar is good for sweet heart Zeit News (Germany), 06/12/11
- Sugary way to stave off heart disease Canadian Desi (Canada), 06/12/11
- Sugary way to keep heart disease at bay Oregon telegraph (USA), 06/12/11
- Sweet news: A sugar that helps protect hearts The times of India (India), 07/12/11
- Sugary way to keep heart disease at bay Venezuela star (Venezuela), 07/12/11
- New Sugar may prevent heart disease Bioonnews (China), 08/12/11
Trusted partner brands that we support
To create holistic products and treatment regimes we have collaborations with the following companies and work together to help improve health outcomes for customers: